Updated: Sep 9, 2021
My Mama’s Biscuits
· 2 1/4 cup self rising flour
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· ½ teaspoon of salt
· ¼ cup of Crisco
· ¼ cup very cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
· 3/4 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 475° and have ready a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Using a pastry blender, cut the shortening into the flour mixture.
4. Add the buttermilk and stir until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
5. Very gently, knead the dough, just until it comes together in a ball. Transfer to a lightly flour floured work surface and roll it out into it’s ½
to ¾ inch thick.
6. Take a drinking glass, dip it into a mound of flour, and start cutting out
7. Place on the prepared baking sheet about 1inch apart and add the pats of butter on top of each biscuit.
8. Bake for 10 minutes, just until the tops are golden. Serve and enjoy.
Makes 1 dozen.